Třinecké Železárny a.s., „Trinecke”, Czech Republic

Participant 6 – TZ Trinec, a.s., 
Country Czech republic
Web site www.trz.cz
Person in charge Stanislav Czudek, PhD – mailto:stanislav.czudek@trz.cz
Brief description of the organisation  

History
Třinecké železárny, which is co-called Werk by most of the local citizens, is among industrial companies with the longest tradition of iron and steelmaking in the Czech Republic. At present, a significant company with a closed production cycle, it was established in 1839 by the Těšín Chamber which was then owned by the Archduke Karl von Habsburg.Period of the Těšín ChamberThe beginnings of the operation of Třinecké železárny are connected with the production of foundry pig iron in the charcoal blast furnace. The favourable position of the company, its connection to the Košice – Bohumín Railroad and access to raw materials made it possible for the owners – the Chamber of Těšín – to centralize their plants from the out-lying vicinity to Třinec in the 1870s.Period of the Mining and Metallurgical CompanyIn 1906 Třinecké železárny became the most significant part of the Mining and Metallurgical Company. The logo of the company “three hammers in a circle” accompanying the steel products from Třinec up to the present originated at that time.The aggressive modernization policy of the financially strong Mining and Metallurgical Company soon changed the appearance of Třinecké železárny. In the 1920s Třinecké železárny was one of the most up-to-date, integrated steelmakers in Central Europe. In 1929 its crude steel production share in Czechoslovakia was 23 % and that of rolled products was as much as 31 %.The Second World War and socialistic CzechoslovakiaTřinecké železárny was not significantly damaged during World War II, and in 1946, it was nationalized. The development of Třinecké železárny continued during the Czechoslovakia’s socialistic period, when the development of heavy industry had special importance.

After the Velvet Revolution

The political changes in 1989 led to the gradual privatization of Třinecké železárny. In 1991 Třinecké železárny was transformed into the form of a joint stock company with the state holding a 100 % share. During the period of 1994 to 1996 the capital share of the state gradually decreased. Since 1996 Třinecké železárny has been a fully privatized company and its major shareholder is the joint stock company Moravia Steel.

Other subsidiaries and new acquisitions make up a part of the TŘINECKÉ ŽELEZÁRNY – MORAVIA STEEL Group. Among the most significant companies are Energetika Třinec, a.s., Strojírny Třinec, a. s., Slévarny Třinec, a. s., Refrasil, s. r. o., Řetězárna, a. s., Sochorová válcovna TŽ, a. s., VÚHŽ a.s., Materiálový a metalurgický výzkum s.r.o., Šroubárna Kyjov, spol. s.r.o., Hanácké železárny a pérovny, a.s., Kovárna Viva a.s., Metalurgia S.A., Soukromá střední škola Třinec, D&D Drótáru Zrt., and recently ŽDB Drátovna a. s.

Nowadays, Třinecké železárny is a significant steelmaking company and important element of the region and the town of Třinec, which has changed from a small agricultural village to a considerable town, especially thanks to Třinecké železárny. The company supports the Czech Extra-league Ice-hockey team HC Oceláři Třinec and numerous other cultural, sport, and educational actitivities, in this region as well as outside of it.